Saturday, September 01, 2007

If I'm not careful, this blog could become a Blueprint obsession


Ok, they've really got me. I'm ready to move into these three rooms from the current issue. I keep thinking about them, trying to figure out just what it is that I love so much. Here's what I've got:

I love living with neutrals. In my dream world, everything is made from naked wood, undyed linen and wool, or it's painted white. I've certainly tried to go that direction in our apartment, but for quite a while now I've been feeling like it's missing something.



I think those folks at Blueprint have it all figured out. Like that bedroom; it's nearly all neutrals, but the shot of color comes in unexpected ways, like the bed. Rather than painting the room itself yellow, they incorporated just enough yellow to elevate the entire environment. And that fabulous pale grey wall, combined with the pure white, just looks so fresh to me! Plus, the subtle addition of dark tones adds just the right amount of depth to the palette.


Lotta Jansdotter's living room (top photo) is comprised of both neutrals as well as a spectrum of colors. The muted shades of the colors are dispursed throughout the room, and the balance of lights and darks works nicely. The rug pulls the palette together, I think. None of the colors feel forced, yet there's plenty of color.

And that office? Well, it helps that Blueprint is located in the amazing Starrett-LeHigh Building (My former empoyer moved there while I was out on maternity leave, and those windows alone were almost enough to convince me come back), but how great are all those little pops of yellow, in several different shades? And I thought I wasn't really a yellow person. I was fingering the yellow tape at the art store the other day just because of this shot (they used yellow tape to add color to many of the items in the photo).

I'm still trying to decide what inspiration to take from all this. PI'm mostly feeling this odd relief at the realization that I don't have to force color into our apartment where it may not feel right to me, which is why I've been trying to do lately. But I'm also feeling like maybe I can try a few new approaches to color in ways I might not have attempted it before. And maybe some new colors as well. It's still brewing, I guess. I'll give it more time, and maybe a few more issues of Blueprint, before I take action. Although I'm secretly wishing I could paint our bed yellow.

4 comments:

  1. Your analysis made me look more closely at these photos than I normally would. I wondered: why does the "breathing room" look so preternaturally neat? See the bookshelves? The books appear to be arranged by color. AND they match the pillows. I wonder: did they photoshop the books, or slipcover them for the photoshoot? Arranging one's books to match the decor is obsessive, indeed. But yes, it does all look beautifully clean and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:51 AM

    I guarantee the books were not photoshopped... I know several people who organize their books by color. (arty, graphic design types who have a LOT of beautiful books and care more for beauty than perhaps function)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read somewhere recently about someone else who organizes her books by color because she's a visual person and can more easily locate the book by virtue of it's color. Interesting idea; I'm thinking about trying it myself (when I have a bit more time to organize all my books).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:51 AM

    yep. i hear ya. i LVOE the first room. i read the magazine this weekend while i was camping. i think with that room it is the turquoise and yellow accents, with the neutral background. love the books too - they're there, but they don't look CRAMPED.

    i also LVOE the corn on the cob painting in the second room, although i feel that room is a bit TOO matchy. and i asked the guys that were camping what they'd think of it, and none of them were too keen on the colour scheme.

    the office is cool too. i can't imagine being able to do that with mine though!

    ReplyDelete