Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Didn't know I had it in me


Trying out my new external flash for the Nikon now that daylight is getting so much shorter again. Clearly I need more practice.

Tsia and I made our first mayonnaise tonight. We needed 2 T for fish tacos, and I don't keep it in the house because I never use mayo on anything. Just don't care for it. So we busted out our friend Julia and went for it; it turned out quite well if I do say so myself. An extravagantly thick, creamy-textured, yellow concoction completely unlike the so-called "miracle" stuff. For a little visual interest in our photo, I added the cilantro leaf and Tsia needed to put in her bit with the mint leaf.

The tacos were quite tasty as well. I recommend that you add half the Chipotle in Adobo Sauce that the recipe suggests, however: it's hot!

Tomorrow we start swimming lessons (for her that is), so I guess the whole back to school thing is starting at our house, too. Next year we'll be on the pre-school track, but for now we'll enjoy one last year of staying home.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:46 AM

    I always make my own mayonnaise. I don't really like the commercial stuff and it really is so simple. And I nearly always have an egg, some oil, a clove of garlic and a lemon or lime on hand.
    My daughter will start pre-school next year too. And she just recently started swimming lessons, which she absolutely adores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:28 PM

    I never thought to make my own mayo - how long does it keep?

    I do however want to make my own ketchup because the commercial stuff is so sugary and I had some homemade stuff at a restaurant that was really delicious. Anyone know any recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be interested to know how long it keeps as well. I never thought to do that, but it sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've inspired me - I never thought to make my own mayo, either, and since I can't bring myself to buy a big old jar of the stuff, I never use it even when a recipe needs it. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:00 PM

    yum.

    ReplyDelete