Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Now if I could just harness some toddler power

Todd and I watched Al Gore's movie a few weeks ago, and when it was over I found myself thinking that we were doing fairly well in terms of not contributing much to emissions. After all, we don't own a car, we recycle much of our packaging and paper, and I make a point of using my knitted market bag and a backpack when Tsia and I buy our groceries instead of getting plastic bags from the store. However, I've since realized how much more we can be doing. For example, we need to replace our lightbulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs, and I'm looking into community supported agriculture programs in our area.


And what's up with those tacky paper napkins we've been using? I finally took the time to make a set of everyday cloth napkins to coordinate with my beloved sashiko placemats (my favorite souvenir from a trip to Tokyo). I followed Molly's instructions and used the walking foot on my new machine.

Here are a few other environmentally oriented, nifty things I'm liking:

The sun jar looks like an ordinary mason jar but actually contains a solar cell, batteries, and a warm-colored LED bulb to resemble sunlight. A sensor activates the bulb, and the battery recharges with just a few hours of sunlight.

A more environmental, low-cost laundry detergent.

And for the truly dedicated, your very own under-the-sink composting. I'm not ready for this and, quite frankly, may never be. After all, it really wouldn't be fair to the little worms (gulp!), since I have enough trouble remembering to feed the cat. And no green thumb to speak of, at that. With my history, I'd probably kill the poor things.

10 comments:

  1. That toddler power is an awesome force. I just put mine down for a nap. While we are doing what we can, I also draw the line at compost. I tried it and stinky pot on counter was the result. We did have a guinea pig that would eat trimmings, but sadly no more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:37 PM

    Ah, yes, those under-the-sink composts... how I must get one of those! Happy becoming greener days to you, g

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched An Inconvenient Truth 2 weeks ago as well. We should talk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:05 PM

    This summer we're joining an agricultural co-op that's organized by some folks around Washington Sq. Each week you receive a box of whatever produce is harvested that week - from June through Nov (though you can join for a shorter season too.) The farms are all in the Hudson Valley; the co-op part comes in helping to sort once per season. I can bring a form to the first backpack class if you might be interested. -- amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do a CSA and I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to eat food that was picked that morning by someone you have a relationship with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've decided recently that I need to get "greener" too. It can be tough. Baby steps for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:02 PM

    I have used this laundry soap for ages and it is fabulous. For people with allergies, the borax does a number on dust mites, too. I find it hard to get Fels Naptha in NYC - does anyone have a good source? It is excellent for people with skin sensitivities, too, especially those for whom the commercial "free and clear" detergents don't work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved An Inconvenient Truth, and it sparked a lot of thoughtful discussion in my house. Lately I've been trying to reduce my waste, and especially the amount of petroleum products that we use in my household.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes toddler power would be great to harness! I don't know where it comes from exactly...I did worm composting outside for a year and then put them in the compost pile outside. Now they are breeding and eating in there because it apparently stays warm enough for them in the middle portion of the pile. We got a new countertop compost thing that doesn't smell and it comes with a filter. It's green with a handle I think Giam is where we got it or that's the brand?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:57 AM

    I have been trying to go greener for years now, but "An Inconvenient Truth" just made me realize that i've not been doing it enough. I thought about doing the undersink compost, but my husband drew the line there. He knows it'd be him doing it since i still get the heeby jeebys with creepy crawlers. I like the idea of clothe napkins, but i don't have an inhouse laundry (in building yes, but it closed early) and i was thinking of getting an old fashioned washboard to keep the nice napkins clean. a bit confused though as to the type. Ebay seems to only sell anitques. any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete