Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I'm in looooooove

Ok. First of all, it's impossible to take a decent photo inside our apartment unless it's mid-afternoon and the sun is shining very brightly outside. And even then it's tricky. But the sun certainly isn't shining right now. So my photos really aren't going to do justice, but I'm powering through nonetheless.


Second, happy Valentine's Day! I love February (sorry, February haters) because we almost always get some sort of snow (which is why the sun isn't shining right now) and because it's a month full of family birthdays.

So having said that, look what arrived in the mail (for my birthday)!

I'm in awe. Grandma said this type of embroidery is called "hen scratching," if she recalls correctly. The gingham pattern determines the placement of the stitches, as you can see. And in true Grandma style, look how beautifully the gingham matches at the pockets. It's perfect. You can't even tell it's a patch pocket unless you look very closely.


Grandma didn't stitch this: a friend of hers embroidered it many years ago, and Grandma put it together. I love everything about it: the pink is a soft non-bubble-gum-pink-but-still-certainly-pink pink and the white is more of a creme. But don't get me started on the color names again. I also adore the combination of pink and white with a touch of black. It feels sophisticated, feminine and elegant. And maybe a little dangerous.

This is an occasion apron. One that you keep carefully folded in tissue paper in a dresser drawer and wear only on, say, Valentine's Day. But I still haven't decided what one wears underneath an apron like this.


Unless, maybe, something in black lace? Hmmm.

17 comments:

  1. that! is one beautiful apron. so meticulously worked, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:46 PM

    wow, when I saw the first picture I thought it was some amazingly skillful screenprinting, but I'm even more impressed to know it's embroidery! it's just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness that apron a real work of art so much so that the word apron doesn't do it justice. And being Valentine's day and all you could give the black lace a try .......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:43 PM

    Great apron, I agree!

    I know that style of embroidery as chicken scratch - have a look at http://snipurl.com/1a69k for a bit more information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The apron made my heart skip a beat. Simple. Impeccable. Desirable. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:37 PM

    so sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:03 PM

    beautiful...and with black lace? hmmm...THAT...we'll never know:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh it is beautiful. apron perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. stunning! the embroidery and construction are amazing... so intricate and beautifully done.
    i'd probably vote for the black lace :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:24 PM

    Beautiful apron. So much work, but great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:06 AM

    The apron is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:41 AM

    That really is a gorgeous apron, great detail in the embroidery outlining the pockets and going all the way up to the waistband. I have several chicken scratch aprons, but none of them are as pretty as this one. Makes me actually want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read your post at work. When I got home I dug into the bottom drawer of my dresser and pulled out a VERY, VERY similar apron my grandmother gave me about a year ago. I remember when I got it it was so lovely and so old that I practically panicked and stowed it away.

    Mine isn't pink, but more of rust and white. It has a very neatly attached patch pocket and a snowflake design done with the crosses.

    So I've ironed the apron and have draped it across my sofa. I'm not sure what to do next. I do know I need to buy clothes pins so I can at least hang it in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it! my granny had home made aprons, but never as delicate and pretty as this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yesterday I randomly stopped in a used book store and to my amazement found old (1948-1956) McCalls Magazines! And there was an articles about making these types of aprons. I'll be posting a photo of one of the article soon. I thought you might enjoy a look-see.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous11:42 PM

    Happy Birthday dear Liesl!

    ReplyDelete