Monday, April 03, 2006

Poisson d'Avril

In France, the first of April is called Poisson d’Avril, and pinning a paper fish on an unsuspecting friend’s back is considered the height of hilarity. (Yeah, I don't get it either.) Anyway, I was planning to celebrate Poisson d'Avril this year, but my fish wasn't ready until Saturday night. Blame it on the illness we suffered last week. So I celebrated yesterday.



The first fish was a little too cartoony for my taste once I had finished the applique and started the embroidery. So off he came. The second fish was rather touch-and-go when I started painting it; the spines look more swordfish than goldfish, and I'm still not sure I like them. But a little more applique and embroidery helped the effect.




So happy Poisson d'Avril to you.

Oh, and have you seen Knit and Tonic's photo of her yarn stash?

7 comments:

  1. It looks very Asian (Asian fabrics) to me... and very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:15 PM

    I think it looks like a beautiful Koi. You did a fabulous job! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i adore your second fish! I have to start celebrating this holiday (not that im french, but...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:36 AM

    Ooo, you've given me ideas (for next year :D). I love T-shirts with a surprise on the back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:52 AM

    And a happy Poisson d'Avril to you too! Wonderful fish!

    take care, gracia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:14 PM

    That fish is so beautiful! Did you say you painted it? Lovely. And nice placement on the back, so perfect and unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous - and what a great culture quirk! Thanks for introducing me!

    ReplyDelete