Thursday, July 23, 2009

baby boom

I could swear babies come in bunches. There seem to be waves of babies around us, and this is one of those high tide occasions. Lots of friends have recently welcomed little ones into their lives.


I'm not able to custom make baby gifts for all our friends these days, but some dear friends who live overseas recently had their first child and I really wanted to give them something special. One of the great things about simple patterns is that you can spend more time on the details, so I made them some Bedtime Story Pajamas in a beautiful men's shirting fabric and constructed it with French seams so the inside would look as finished as the outside.

There's something about high-quality shirting fabrics. Even the sound of the fabric when the sewing machine needle hits it is so satisfying. I don't mind spending a little extra when I find a really great Italian shirting in the garment district. Just a yard or two, and then I always have something terrific to reach for when I need it. And it doesn't take much fabric when you're making clothing is such little sizes!


I've just finished sewing the label into this little outfit, and it will be making it's way to London tomorrow. Meantime, I'm making my way to Vermont for a few days of additional sewing time. See you next week!

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely job, I'm sure they're going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable! just wanted to thank you. i used your new york resource list when i visited last week and totally fell in love with m & j trims and b & j fabrics. wish i could go all the time but then i'd never be using what i bought!! thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly beautiful fabric is INSPIRING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little jammies are darling. Have fun in Vermont! I wish I was going to be there too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks amazing in the shirting.
    i've been wanting to buy this pattern forever. i don't think i will wait much longer

    ReplyDelete
  6. What snappy duds for a lucky little babe! The fabric looks so smooth and satiny like good shirting fabric does...lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for making a licensing option. What a wonderful treat. I know I have opted not to make an item for a school auction (or sundry fundraising opportunities) due to the copyright issue. This is such a wonderful option.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so lovely! I would love to have one myself :)

    ReplyDelete