Wednesday, February 25, 2009

small town

I must have had Natalie on my mind already, since we were planning to get together during Fashion Week. But it was the hem of her coat that caught my attention last week as Tsia and I were on our way down Avenue B. That coat was standing across the street from us, and I immediately thought of Alabama Chanin and her designs when I glimpsed it. (I tend to walk looking down when I'm with Tsia. There was someone inside that coat, but my eyes were mostly on the sidewalk.)

All the same, I was completely taken aback when I looked up and saw it was her. Right there on our way to preschool! I love New York. Big city? No way. I run into dear friends all the time. It's a small town, I swear it. So small that someone from Alabama can suddenly seem like a neighbor.

Anyway, Natalie and I sat down in the showroom for tea yesterday morning, and I had an opportunity to view the new Alabama Chanin collection first hand. Here's a little taste. Enjoy!










Thanks, Natalie. I can't wait for book number two!

13 comments:

  1. Being from Alabama, I'm always proud to see us represented so beautifully elsewhere! She is really a fabulous person. Have you seen photos of her homelife here? So quiet and idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a small world - I never think that these "accidents" happen by accident. I love the colours in the new collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful surprise. I recently bought the Alabama Stitch book and have been thoroughly inspired by the thoughts and images within.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so wonderful to find you so unexpectedly there… the beauty of life. It feels like we have been friends forever.

    xxxNatalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, the details- so gorgeous
    and i love the story of your meeting on the street by noticing her hem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh seriously. what gorgeous clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently got into sewing, and the first thing my friend did was hand me her Stitch Alabama book. It was amazing! I love every single project in it! I made the corset top and I'm eyeing the skirt next. Little steps for me, I know. The Alabama team's work is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be still my heart. I love her book and the photos you have taken. Simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Book two?! Is it happening? Thank you for sharing the collection. So incredibly gorgeous. I'm a Alabama Chanin fan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What an amazing chance encounter. How lucky you were to preview her collection - her work is incredible! I love her book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What breathtaking fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:44 AM

    I just love it when things like that happen. The collection is beautiful, and I, myself can't wait for book two, although there are so many other things I want to make from book one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:06 PM

    I love Natalie's indigo pieces so much it hurts! I have made several of her patterns, as well as yours Liesl, and continue to appreciate and be inspired by you both. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete