Monday, December 05, 2005

Why I blog

Lisa suggested that we craft bloggers write what our blogs mean to us: why we blog, what has changed about our blog, etc. And I've been thinking about that a lot in the past couple of weeks, so although she doesn't know me or my blog (I don't think), I am going to participate anyway.

I've had the privilege of working with some amazingly talented people. I left my job after Bebe was born, but until then I was incredibly fortunate to love my job, enjoy my colleagues, and to find a great deal of inspiration in going to work every day. The decision to leave my job and stay home with the baby was an especially difficult one for me for precisely this reason. And for months after I left I felt isolated: what would I do without the community I had come to reply upon?

I once responded to Todd, who has been blogging for nearly 1 1/2 years now and was teasing me that something he did proved he was smarter than me, that I was in fact the smarter one because I didn't spend my time blogging. But after reading/lurking around several other craft blogs (Loobylu, Erica Mulherin) for many years now, I realized this past summer that I wanted to be part of this group of creative people. I needed the contact with other crafters in order to stay inspired, motivated, and to keep myself going without the regular interaction with my work colleagues.

However, joining this group of bloggers hasn't been everything I had hoped, and over the past few weeks I've been struggling with some disappointment regarding my blog. I'm writing for myself, yes, but I had hoped for more interaction with other bloggers as well. There are 66 feeds in my Bloglines account - which means that I'm reading and often commenting on 66 other blogs. So I find inspiration reading and commenting on other blogs, but I'm not getting the feedback I had hoped for my own. And I know I shouldn't expect comments. But the interaction was what kept me going at work and what I hoped to establish by blogging. I see it happening on other blogs and I sometimes wonder what I'm doing wrong. Is it that I'm not selling things? I haven't created a site that encourages group participation (the "_-along")? My stuff isn't that interesting or creative? Is there just no room in the craft blogosphere for yet another blogger?

And then I try to remind myself that a) I've only been doing this for a few months, b) I know my family and friends are reading this even if they aren't commenting and certainly shouldn't feel obligated to comment and c) I do receive comments from a number of people and I really appreciate those comments!

I don't always reply to comments, but I love love love reading them! So I will continue to blog and will continue to enjoy reading and commenting on other blogs. And I will enjoy the comments that I receive. If more comments come my way as well, that's great. I hope that eventually I will find that network I'm craving. Maybe it will be via my blog and maybe I'll find it elsewhere. But for now, here I am.

10 comments:

  1. and now i DO know you!!
    and i will add you to my bloglines....

    thank you for participating... for being honest... feedback will come... i didn't think a SOUL was reading mine and then the next thing i knew.... comments....

    we are here. we are reading. i'll certainly comment now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:57 AM

    Hi. You're in my bloglines (I have about 200 in there!). I've been blogging for over a year now and it's taken at least a year to receive regular comments. Some posts I'm still lucky to get one or two comments. I guess have a look at your stats. I reckon RSS feeds make people a little lazy to comment (well, maybe I'm just talking about myself!). Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here! I read and comment...sometimes.

    I certainly understand what you're saying. I too love getting comments, but don't always get so many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, ladies. Sorry if I sound whiney - I don't mean to be and I appreciate your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:45 AM

    I like your page too, and I echo the experiences of the other commenters. Plus, you've got one of the best Japanese craft book libraries around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:15 PM

    I totally know how you feel. I mostly started the blog for myself but every so often, I get frustrated when I feel no one else reads it. Then I'll find out that some people won't comment on your actual site, but will talk about your entry on theirs etc. Ultimately, I remind myself that I started it mainly for me. If someone else digs it, cool. If not, they just don't. There are so many blogs out there so I can't feel too insulted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I know exactly how you feel. I just remind myself that I started writing for me, which I haven't been doing for very long. I get a few comments, but not many. This is the first I've visited your site, I will definately check back often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:15 PM

    I know what you mean about wanting more people to comment. I feel the same way. I just came across your entry through Lisa's page. I'll check back in with you from now on!

    Melanee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Hey, I am right there with you. I have only been blogging for a few months now, but have been reading them for more than a year. I think it will take time to acquire those blogging friends, I guess. But I feel kind of like a lone island blogger. I have definately become more motivated. I will definately check back with your blog. Just keep blogging!!!! Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:05 PM

    Add me in with the crowd - I read your stuff and love it and I blog and no one comments and I hate it. I too write to be part of the community. Hoping if I plug away eventually people will catch on and comment...it's a hard balance to write for yourself and for interaction. Good luck getting it to a point where you're inspired, included and still free to be yourself.

    ReplyDelete